Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Welcome to The Yellow Dog Eats. I created this food blog about 9 months ago and for one weekend I was very very excited about getting started. I had such grand plans for my food blog. There would be the nightly dinner recap postings (ala Julie Powell). There would be stunning food photography (I need to use that college degree when and wherever possible). And of course the farm market and restaurant reviews. (But how many times can you review B-Dubs??) So now 9 months later I am putting up my first post. But first I would like to send out praises to the Columbus foodies that I read everyday; Lisa at Restaurant Widow, Becke at Columbus Foodie, CMH Gourmand , and Sporessata. The fact that they were all highlighted in an article today in the "Dispatch" is not the reason for my first (finally) post. Nope, it was tonight's dinner (no photos..I suck).

Roasted Shrimp with oranges, onion, and roasted red pepper

So the Mother and I went to "the Krogers" in Lebanon (yes Ohio) on Monday afternoon and at the end of the shopping trip we decided that we needed something to eat Christmas night, I said shrimp and so that seem to be the plan, at the time. So we got a half of pound of shrimp. They were on the bigger size and I asked for ones that were still pretty frozen. Welcome to fresh shrimp in Ohio.

Fast forward to today - No Shrimp was cooked or consumed last night, so today I set in the car during the trip back to Columbus with the shrimp covered in ice sitting between my feet. I was just glad it wasn't July.
So roughly based on Ina Garten's original recipe for roasted shrimp.

Roasted Shrimp with oranges, onion, and roasted red pepper

Preheat oven to 400F

3/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Half on a yellow onion cut in thin strips
juice on half a lemon
at least 4 large garlic clove thinly sliced
red pepper flakes to taste
1 orange cut into segments
1 roasted red pepper.
olive oil
S&P to taste

Combined all ingredients and marinate in the refrigerator for up to an hour. Spread out on to a sheet pan and cook until the shrimp is almost done. The Shrimp will continue to cook from their own heat.

Tonight I topped the shrimp with Lime Avocado Oil (thanks Mom, great gift!)

This is an easy, quick, and very tasty meal.

1 comment:

Gumby said...

yes, it was VERY tasty!